Monday, April 26, 2010

Oh What a Weekend.

I typically enjoy grocery shopping. I look forward to going to Topeka to the "real" grocery stores. On Saturday, Lilly and I went grocery shopping at my favorite Dillons. I love this store. I know where everything is, and thanks to the wonderful teachings of my mother, plan my shopping list in order accordingly. Lilly likes this store too. She rides in the cart like a big girl and watches the people go by. She even smiles and giggles when the little old ladies talk to her. This trip was far from pleasant. Conveniently enough I forgot the store was under construction. We got there and the entrance was at one end and the check out lanes at the opposite end. I had to start in the dairy section instead of the produce. Not good. The meat department was a complete nightmare. Extension cords were running everywhere. Not fun to try and drive a cart over! Let's not even mention the poor stock boy that dumped an entire rack of bread trying to get over a cord. Poor guy.
Anyway, I do the best I can while Lilly is acting like a complete maniac. I pay and get ready to leave. Wait a minute, something is not right! There are probably 10 high school aged kids standing around chit chatting about how "awesome" their prom was, and not one of them has offered to help me out with my bags. I am sure your prom was great but seriously, can you guys not see my crazy child having a hissy fit? Can you not see my 10 big bags? Get over here and help me! But not one of them does.
I make it outside, walk the half mile to my car, and get unloaded. Then I realize there are no shopping cart racks! I hate when people leave their carts in the middle of the lot, so I try not to do it. Lilly is having a full temper tantrum at this point. I look around and see a nice looking guy, middle-aged with his two kids. I nicely say "Excuse me, sir? Would you mind taking my cart, my baby is in the car and she is not happy, as you can probably hear." Wrong move. He gave me one of the most sour looks, and just kinda stares at me like I have asked him to donate a kidney or something. Finally he does and basically stomps off like a two year old. Really dude, is it that big of deal? You have kids, you remember what it was like, right? He was probably one of those people who left their carts in the parking lot. Jerk.

On a high note, we went to church on Sunday and as usual Lilly was the center of attention, at least in our pew and the few surrounding. She wore her (mommy's) favorite dress.
One rather strange thing did happen at church. Pastor Dennis was giving his sermon about having lunch with Nate Phelps. Nate is the son of Fred Phelphs. Nate left his home, his family, and the cult when he was 18, and returned this past week for the first time in 30 years. Pastor Dennis talked about how skeptical he was go listen to an atheist talk. The funny part came when he said he hoped Fred would be there picketing the luncheon. Really, you want to see the crazy guy? He then said, and I quote, "Would it be so bad if my car had hopped the curb, and ran over the crazy man? Really, would anyone care?" He then went on to tell us how he is not a violet man, he just really doesn't like the Phelps family and their teachings. I can't help but agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment